Questions You Should Ask To Help You Choose A TEFL School
Teaching English as a Foreign Language or TEFL definitely provides a great opportunity for people who wish to travel and earn at the same time. For people who are still undecided about what they want to do with their lives, TEFL is the perfect place for you to find and discover yourself.
But before you can teach English abroad, what you must first do is enrol in a TEFL course and get certified. It is important that you find a reputable TEFL school that will help you develop the skills needed for the job. When you start searching for TEFL schools, you may be surprised to see that there are actually numerous schools for you to choose from and with plenty of options available, it is easy to get overwhelmed.
To help you find a TEFL school that is right for you, here are some questions you should be asking.
- How many hours of training does the course involve? Usually, a TEFL course would need at least 100 hours of training, which is the standard for TEFL. Also, check to see if the TEFL school is accredited by a recognized body or organization.
- Does the school incorporate live practicum? If it doesn’t at least incorporate 6-20 hours of live practicum then there is a good chance that the TEFL school isn’t recognized.
- Who will teach the TEFL course? Your instructor will definitely play a great role in your course that is why you should only go for TEFL schools with top level instruction from highly experienced professors.
- Will the school help you find a job after the course? If so, then this would definitely increase your tuition. Also, it would be good to ask how they will help you find a job and where.
- Ask the school where you would be able to teach English abroad with their certification. Of course, if you’re planning to teach English in Thailand, then you must make sure that the certification provided by the TEFL school will allow you to that.
- Ask for hidden costs. A school must always be transparent with the fees they are charging a student. It would also do you well to ask about housing costs if you are considering international courses.